INMORIA FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rockpages (Greece) interview with Dan

Go down

Rockpages (Greece) interview with Dan Empty Rockpages (Greece) interview with Dan

Post  Anna Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:11 am

Inmoria is a fairly new Swedish outfit that plays power metal and has two studio albums under its belt. We get the chance to talk with Dan Eriksson, the band’s keyboardist and founding member who shares with us all the details about Inmoria’s past, present and future.

Interview: Sakis Nikas

Rockpages.gr: Dan, you started Inmoria back in 2008 after a 10-year hiatus from the music business. What made you decide to make a comeback and start writing music once again?

Dan Eriksson: Well, at the time I was living and working in Oslo, Norway when I just felt the need to start writing music again and it felt like something “hit me” from above or from wherever. I started to hear riffs and vocal parts in my head that I hadn’t felt in about 10 years. So, I bought my own recording studio and started to record the stuff I had in my head and first out were the tracks for our debut album “Invisible Wounds”. And following all the awesome reviews we got for that album…….well, the “voices” in my head were right!!

Rockpages.gr: How did it feel to be handling the music all by yourself? I mean, in the beginning, you were alone in the songwriting process before you make a call to various other Tad Morose members…

Dan Eriksson: That is how I like it, so I can have everything just the way I want it. I am a little dictator, haha!! No but seriously, we have the agreement that I do everything regarding music and lyrics and then I let the other guys put their personal feelings to everything when it is time for the final recordings. I know that I am a control freak but Inmoria is my little "baby" and I need to have that control. It is hard work but someone has to do it.

Rockpages.gr: Many people will surely be curious about the band’s name. Would you like to take us down to the fantasy world of Mr. Tolkien?

Dan Eriksson: Yes you are so right, the band name comes from The Lord Of The Rings trilogy. When I was thinking about a band name back in 2008 I knew that I needed something that would reflect our music. So when I was watching the movies for about the fiftieth time, it came to me when the actors were on their way into the dwarf’s mine called “Moria”. A dark and really depressing place and that was the perfect name for us. So I just added “in” at the beginning of the word and then the band name was complete.

Rockpages.gr: Your debut album, “Invisible Wounds”, was well-received from the music Press. How would you describe your sound on this record?

Dan Eriksson: Yes, I was totally blown away by all the awesome reviews that we got and I was really proud of that. I mean some reporter even called it "one of the best albums of the decade" and that brought a little tear to my eye! Well the new album doesn’t have the same monotone songs that were on the first album. Now we even have solos on every track, haha!! And I think that it is more "melodic" than before but it still has the "haunting" riffs and melodies.

Rockpages.gr: Did you have the chance to tour or make special shows for the promotion of the album?

Dan Eriksson: If you mean for the first album I have to say no, because of different issues nothing really happened and that was really a shame. We got a bunch of gig requests but due to different issues, we couldn´t accept them. But now for the new album that is coming up and with a new and great management that are backing us, things are starting to happen. Our management is working hard to put us out on the road. We have a few gigs here in Sweden in May to kick off the promotion of the new album so that is going to be really cool.

Rockpages.gr: Now, you completed your sophomore effort called “A Farewell To Nothing, The Diary Part 1”. First of all, why did Charles Rytkonen leave the band?

Dan Eriksson: Charles left the band basically due to personal reasons and limited time available with a full time job and a family. But also he wasn’t used to the fact that all the vocal parts and lyrics were already done and written by me. So he felt that he couldn’t put his personal touch to the lyrics - I sat down with him during the recordings and sang the parts for him before he started to record and everything went so fast. I know that Charles wants to have a long preparation time before he enters a studio, but that wasn’t the case for the first album. So he left the band in 2010 but there are no hard feelings between us and we meet a couple of times a week and say hi.

Rockpages.gr: Would you care to tell us a few things about the album title? Is it safe to suppose that they will be a follow-up…diary?

Dan Eriksson: Well that is an interesting question actually because it has a double meaning. “A Farewell to Nothing” means that we all should say farewell to this fucked up pointless thing that we call life so it is better to end it all by killing yourself. But at the same time “Part 1” indicates that it will be a continuing story and that we all have a will to live despite how miserable our lives may be. The whole album is basically a suicide letter (if you read between the lines) but simultaneously a will to live. So it is a struggle between 2 different entities that most of us have inside of us but few people know about.

Rockpages.gr: Why did you leave Massacre Records and how did the deal with Rock It Up Records come up?

Dan Eriksson: When the reviews started to come for “Invisible Wounds” and the majority of them were just awesome we felt like Massacre Records should have put some “fuel on the fire” and acted harder and pushed the album even more. But they didn’t and we were really frustrated about that. So we come to the conclusion together with Massacre that we should go our separate ways. After a few weeks Franko Sturm at Rock It Up/Ice Warrior sent us a mail and wanted to work with us so we signed a deal. We are really pleased with Rock It Up/Ice Warrior Records because it is a smaller company with lesser bands and that makes the whole thing more familiar. So we hope for a long relationship with them.

Rockpages.gr: In this time and age, with what will you be absolutely satisfied regarding Inmoria’s career taken into consideration the overall bad state of the music industry?

Dan Eriksson: As we, poor struggling metal musicians basically can’t make any money by selling cds we just wanna get our asses out on the road, proving to people that we are one hell of a band on stage. Meeting the fans and giving them one hell of a show is the most important thing for me and the rest of the guys and the way to have some satisfaction in my miserable life, haha!!

Link to interview: http://www.rockpages.gr/detailspage.aspx?id=6254&type=1&lang=EN

Anna

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum